Community Digest | Stock Show

The 2023 Annual Young County Junior Livestock Show kicked off on January 12. The show consisted of many incredible entries ranging from animals to art creations. Participants have been working hard for months to perfect and prepare what they’re showing and to hopefully win and walk home with a title.

Drawing by Bowen Boenisch, won first place in his division.

January 12 began with weigh-ins for rabbits, lambs, goats, pigs, and cattle. There’s a floral design contest along with an AG Mechanic contest. On January 13, there was steer, rabbit, and pig judging. Creative Art and AG Mechanics were on display throughout the day. On January 14, the Steer BBQ team helped serve lunch and there was a steer show at 11:00.

The qualifications for this event include being a member of the Young County 4-H Clubs or FFA chapters. To compete in the Livestock show, a student must be enrolled in Young County Public school, private school, or be homeschooled within the eligible county. Eligibility can be approved by the Board and granted to a contestant upon parental request.

Along with other Young County citizens, many Graham High School students competed at the event, “The stock has taught me how to keep up with the responsibilities of having an animal, taught me how to be patient even in the times that I’m feeling anxious.” Lela Chisholm, a junior at Graham High School, said. Chisholm showed two rabbits, Ivery and Ebony. Even though this was her first time competing in the stock show, she won Grand Champion Breeding Rabbit and Senior Showmanship. Chisholm also shows horses at other shows outside of Young County.

Lela Allen sits next to her bunnies that won her Grand Champion.

Other Graham High School students competed like Cody Epperson, a junior, who showed two pigs named Rocko and Carlos, Erica Popplewell, a senior, who showed pigs, and Bowen Boenicsh, a junior, who also showed pigs. Creed Jordan, a senior at Graham High School, showed his Steers and won Grand Champion for it. Lela Allen, a junior who has been doing stock shows for eight years, won the Grand Champion Meat Pin Rabbits title with her six rabbits. She also has shown pigs, dairy heifers, and geese at other shows. Allen says, “I love the memories and the friends I’ve made… and skipping school.”

Through the stock show, participants learn many responsibilities and acquire important qualities. “There are responsibilities through taking care of the animal on your own.” Said Rylee Moore, a freshman who showed two pigs, “You get a little help from your parents but not much.” Participants have to wake up early to tend to their animals, feed them, clean them, and take care of their animals’ health. Through these duties, anyone who competes learns beneficial attributes and lessons that they will use throughout their lives.

Most importantly, participants are able to compete with their friends and make valuable relationships with others. Braylee Brooks, a sophomore who has been doing the stock show for six years, showed three pigs and said, “My favorite part is the comradeship of it, the chapter is really close, and I’d consider everyone I show with as my family.”