GHS Stampede

The Student News Site of Graham High School

GHS Stampede

GHS Stampede

Nine Going on 19?

Are young girls growing up faster than we Know?

I’m sure we’ve all seen it; little girls traipsing down the Drunk Elephant aisle, seeming to be drunk themselves, in search of the newest trendy product. Not only that section, it appears that they’re lurking all over the store, pouncing on the next Rare Beauty Blush or Dior Lip Oil. No matter which product they’re snatching, it’s evident that they’re leaving a mess in their wake. Items and makeup scattered on the floor, displays ruined, and products all over the place. This cleanup is solely the responsibility of the employee, which is undoubtedly unfair. More importantly, why are young girls roaming around this store unattended in the first place? Why are they so comfortable creating messes that they fail to clean up?

Many believe that lack of parental involvement is the root of the issue. Most of these girls were born during a huge technology boom. The era of ipads and iphones becoming commonplace has resulted in a whole generation of young kids to be raised by their technology. Parents find it easier to stick their children in front of an ipad than to actually parent. Due to this, little kids have unrestricted internet access, allowing them to watch videos they shouldn’t necessarily watch. Videos of grown women filming GRWMs (get ready with me) and showing off their Lululemon or Aerie outfits. Things that are marketed to teenagers and women, not little girls. Because parents don’t take an interest in their child and instead let them roam freely on the internet, these girls are seeing things that they like and thinking that it’s for them, even though it’s not. 

Others say that it stems from bullying via the internet or in real life. Children bullying other children for not having the newest, nicest things can result in feelings of isolation; they feel a need to fit in. Another issue is little girls feeling ugly. They watch grown ups wearing full faces and assume that that’s what they should look like all the time. Similarly, little kids will act like little kids online, whether by posting videos of them playing or role playing. They’re being children, using their imaginations! But, opening the comment sections on these videos is like breathing in sewage water. Hate comments left and right, calling the kids weird and to “grow up”. These types of comments are exactly why little girls feel ugly and weird. So, they rush to the backseat of their mom’s Telluride and hurry to the nearest makeup store, in hopes of finding something to make themselves as beautiful as the women they see online. But,  they won’t. Because at the end of the day they’re just little girls using women’s products. 

Despite the annoyingness of a gaggle of little girls walking aisles of a Sephora or Ulta and selling out products, one has to consider why these girls feel the need to be there in the first place.  They’re trying to fit in, wanting to be trendy, or maybe just feeling gross with themselves. We should love and support them, guiding them instead of being harsh and cruel. After all, we were all them once. Stuck between wanting to be a kid for a little bit longer or to grow up quickly. If  we can show these girls that grown products aren’t for them, but offer them other solutions, maybe we can curb this issue. Until then, don’t get into arguments with children about Bronzi Drops!