GHS Stampede

The Student News Site of Graham High School

GHS Stampede

GHS Stampede

Barbie Movie Review

Review

The Barbie Movie

The Barbie Movie has taken the world by storm, a perfect storm. The movie, directed and written by Greta Gerwig, came out on July 21st, 2023 in theatres and became available for purchase on many different streaming platforms on September 12th. Many theatres did special deals that partnered with the movie to bring viewers an extra special viewing experience. “Barbie” is a one-hour and fifty-four-minute long movie that has both comedy and fantasy. They have three stars on “Rotten Tomatoes”. One notable thing about this movie is that they had a very aggressive marketing campaign. They have partnered with more than one hundred different companies including Google, and Air BnB. You can’t visit Instagram or TikTok without seeing hundreds of sponsored posts all attempting to persuade the audience to watch the film. There was even a life-size Barbie Dreamhouse built in Malibu. Margot Robbie is playing “stereotypical” Barbie, with Ryan Gosling playing Barbie’s male counterpart, Ken. The casting choices sparked controversy due to Ryan Gosling’s age. Everyone in this world is either Barbie or Ken, well almost everyone. There are a couple of special characters including Midge, played by Emerald Fennel, Alan, played by Michael Cera, and Weird Barbie, played by Kate McKinnon. Once they travel outside of Barbie World, they meet a few new characters, Gloria, played by America Ferrera, and Sasha, her daughter, played by Ariana Greenblatt.

The beginning of the movie is set in Barbie Land which is an alternate universe where everything is perfect and pink. It is a place that houses a representation of every career that Barbie has had. Their perfect world starts to go sour after their “barbieness” goes away. They go on a crazy adventure to the real world to find out how to save Barbie world. When they get home they see that there were big changes made to their world. They have to save their world and keep everything back together. The Barbie Movie is the perfect example of girlhood and the importance of feminism. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone and everyone. I adore this movie with everything in my being, and I truly believe that it changed my life for the better.