GHS Stampede

The Student News Site of Graham High School

GHS Stampede

GHS Stampede

Homecoming Mums and Garters

GHS HOCO

The “mum” originally called the chrysanthemum, originated in the 1930’s and is a homecoming tradition that originally started in Texas. However now many neighboring states such as Oklahoma, Louisiana and New Mexico have joined in on this beloved tradition. 

Mums are a significant homecoming high school tradition that every student craves to experience. When you get a date to homecoming, it is expected for both teenagers to make each others homecoming garment. The guy will buy and decorate the mum for the girl, while she buys and decorates the garter for him. A garter is a more “manly” version of a mum. Both teenagers are expected to decorate each garment with items, symbols and ribbons they feel represent each other the most. Never be afraid to go all out on your homecoming mum, especially since “Everything is bigger in Texas”! Homecoming mums and garters are to be exchanged the night of homecoming for the game and dance, or the morning of, so their date is able to wear it to school. However not all schools permit homecoming mums during the school day; I know, crazy right? 

Meanwhile GHS permits to wear homecoming mums throughout the homecoming game and dance, GHS do not allow mums during the educational school day. To say students are disappointed would be an understatement. GHS students, especially upperclassmen, look forward to this day every year. Homecoming is a unique experience and for students to miss out on a huge part of celebrating this day. Seniors only get their senior homecoming experience once. To not be able to show off their school pride and wear an extravagant mum during the school day for all to see is irrational. A homecoming mum’s “unwritten” rule is that only seniors are allowed to decorate their mums with white ribbon since it is their last year of high school. This makes it all the more special for them. However, celebrating homecoming is not only for the seniors, all high school classes are allowed to wear mums and get a chance to show off their school spirit extravagantly for one day. Although Graham high school and many other schools reasoning to not allow mums or garters throughout the school day is because it’s a “distraction” to other students learning. Obviously if i’d seen a huge mum flashing with school colors and extra curriculars i’d be amazed! Mums used to start as simple white flowers but with today’s times people have really started going all out, nothing compared like old times! If homecoming traditions of 90+ years can be acclimated to today’s times why can’t high school rules? 

From an administrators POV, not wearing mums during the school day makes sense. Especially since it is many students last homecoming they want to go all out with bells, lights and large ribbons; It is a tad bit distracting in all honesty. However, most teachers give class time on homecoming day to have free time or work on any extra work you would like to do since they know it is an important day for students to express themselves altogether. If most teachers are already voluntarily giving up their class time so students can enjoy their homecoming day, why not let students show off their mums they worked extremely hard on since there is no class to distract them? Homecoming should be enjoyed to its fullest, if that means having a “fun” assignment for one day then so be it. 

GHS is a great school that has always followed traditions so why not this one? More than 2 million students in Texas celebrate homecoming by wearing their mum to school.  It would be absurd to skip out on this lovely homecoming tradition at GHS one more year.